The Fine Art of Writing a Note
With all the buzz about becoming paperless and using e-mail effectively, the personal note has almost become extinct. I hear top agents identify their daily habit of handwriting notes to prospects and clients as one of the ways they have differentiated themselves. It often is the small touches that make a difference. Back in the early 80's, I remember trainer Tommy Hopkins saying that he made it a practice to write ten notes a day and I had done that often while I was an active agent. It made an impact, and people were always mentioning how much they appreciated the notes.
Marketing 101 tells us the more consistent and repetitive the messages, the stronger the name recognition. When writing, take advantage of the opportunity to brand yourself by ordering a postcard or notepaper that carries the look of your website and your other advertising. What are some of the reasons you could send a note?
- "Thinking of you."
- "Passed by your home today and it looks great" -- I know an agent that does this daily to homes on her farm.
- After a listing appointment -- Do this immediately, so they get it the next day!
- After the first time, you work with buyers
- A birthday -- Someone told me the birthday card from car repair place was the only card she got. Don't you think that made an impact?
- An anniversary -- either of when they bought their house or of their wedding.
- "Great to meet you" -- after a networking event
I am sure you can think of many others. The trick here is to start doing this on a regular basis so that sending out 5-10 handwritten notes becomes a habit. Keep them handy in your purse or briefcase, already stamped and use waiting in line time or waiting on hold time to jot a quick note. They say it takes 21 days to create a habit, so make a goal for yourself to do this for at least three weeks, and it should start to be part of your daily schedule.
Whether it is a thank you note for business or a just staying in touch note; people will realize you care and do things a bit differently from the average person. That'll be the kind of person they want marketing their property!
(Joeann Fossland, Certified e-PRO Trainer, GRI, PMN, is a Master Certified Coach and Founder of the Web Women Giving Circle. Joeann is the Creator of The Real Estate Game®, the most effective group coaching available. You can reach her at www.joeann.com)